Wednesday, January 22, 2014

So that snowstorm...(*too cold for crickets but I'm making the sound anyway*)

Well, after being bashed upside the head (repeatedly, I might add) with the threat of BIG snow, school cancellations, and a treacherous morning commute, I woke to...a well plowed parking lot, perfectly drive-able roads and two happy kids who didn't have to go to school (even though they probably should've been able to). NOT that I'm complaining , because last night's commute sucked :P

Currently, I'm procrastinating. I'm in promotional burnout and I've just barely begun. Living Dead Girl is almost a week old (Ha). I find myself wondering how to spread the word without being an annoying pain in the ass. And then I worry...what if I'm reaching to the wrong audience? What is the right audience? Because this story doesn't really fit the mold of any one genre. There are paranormal elements, but they don't happen right away. There's romance, but it's not really HEA. In a nutshell, it's an adult coming of age (and dying) story...with a zombie. Heh. File this under: author paranoia :)

On that note...how about a brief excerpt?

It was as if I’d been jerked out of a sound sleep by a nightmare and I was stuck in that brief couple seconds of wondering if it had been real or not.
“What’s going on?” I asked.
“Well if you’d let me explain before you went bolting outta the room, then you’d know, wouldn’t you? It seems to me that you’re quite dead. So I’ve come to collect you.”
“Is this a joke?” It had to be a joke.
“No joke. No one survives wounds like that. You were stone dead soon as soon as they wheeled you in here.”
Honestly, I had no idea how bad those injuries really were. It had happened so fast. One minute I was worried what Jack was going to do and the next thing I knew, I was lying in a pool of my own blood. I’d always thought I’d react differently if I was attacked. But in reality, my mind just shut down. Hell, it didn’t even hurt while I was being stabbed. After? Well, that was something completely different. It was pure agony.
So how exactly was I supposed to wrap my head around the whole thing? I wasn’t entirely sure I could trust this guy. I mean, this was it? Really? My life ends and some creep in a grungy leather jacket takes me away? No, I couldn’t accept that.
Jack needed me.

“I’m not going anywhere with you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment